Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Just a quick Update...

May 8,  a little more than 9 months after surgery, down 119 pounds...

    I'm still working to rebuild the rusty old hulk that is my body. I'm lifting weights, riding bikes, and running 6 or 7 days a week. I rest by doing something different, that I haven't done for a while - example, the other day, I went swimming instead of running. Some might say I am a bit obsessed with my fitness, I would say they are right. My horrible fitness level ruled my life for years and made me a miserable son of a bitch, now it's time for some payback! Yesterday, I went for a one mile run around noon, missed my turn-around point, and just said "screw it" and kept going. Wanna know why? Because I CAN keep going now. If concentrating a large part of my time on my own health makes me a selfish bastard, so be it. I like to think that being healthier will make me a nicer person to be around, if for no other reason than the fact that I no longer hate myself, how I feel, and how I look.

    Since I got my guts trimmed, I have more than tripled my upper body strength, lowered my blood pressure and blood sugar, greatly improved my cholesterol, dropped 14 inches around my waist (size Medium shorts!), and I can run 2 miles (with a bit of walking here and there)...last year, I could barely walk with a cane, hated everything about my body,  and I was always taking pain medication. I don't even know that fat, miserable son of a bitch anymore, and I am so glad he is gone. Anyone who can't understand my new interest in my health will just have to step back and let it be...

    On the other hand, I will try to be a little more attentive to the people in my life, because they deserve it for putting up with the old me, until the new me came along. If I seem to have ignored you, it wasn't intentional...

No comments:

Post a Comment